Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Service And Beyond

This letter to the editor appeared in the Wednesday, April 29 edition of the Naples Daily News:

Editor, Daily News:

Recently, I noticed two Collier County Sheriff’s deputies on patrol on bicycles in my neighborhood — south of Pine Ridge Road between U.S. 41 and Goodlette-Frank Road.

When I stopped to thank them for their presence, as we have an increasing number of abandoned houses and lower-priced rentals from desperate homeowners, they asked for my business card and told me they would soon be having a neighborhood meeting to discuss issues for our area and promised they would call me.

They were true to their word, called me to give me the time and location of the meeting, and even called as a follow-up to ask if I would attend.

A substantial number of people were in attendance. The deputies who presented the meeting were Sgt. Jake Walker, Cpl. Carmine Marceno and one other officer whose name I did not get. They had a very professional presentation and showed genuine concern for the neighborhood.

They provided a lot of information on crimes in our locale, and what the Sheriff’s Office is doing about it in addition to visitation of registered sex offenders and communication with code enforcement about the abandoned properties.

They offered community patrol rides and a promise to hold another meeting in a month. I was truly pleased and impressed with their professionalism and their sincerity.

Gary Page

Naples