Collier County students are on spring break this week, which means they'll spending lots of time doing fun activities like biking.
That's why CCSO is offering this reminder about the importance of following bicycling rules.
Statistics show that more than 10,000 children and adolescents are hospitalized in the U.S. each year as a result of a bike injury. That's why CCSO works hard to promote bicycle safety.
Here are some tips:
* Check your tires, brakes and chain before you go for a ride.
* Wear a helmet and make sure it's fastened.
* Obey the rules of the road. Bikers must stop at stop signs and traffic signals and indicate when they're turning, just like drivers.
* Ride on the right side of the road in the same direction as traffic.
* Look both ways. Many accidents happen at intersections or driveways, so always watch out for people who don't see you.
* Ride with friends. It's more fun and they can help you if you need it.
* Remember to lock your bike and keep it in a safe place when you're not riding it.
Click here to see a CCSO bicycle safety video.