Thursday, October 28, 2010
Halloween Safety Tips
The Collier County Sheriff’s Office wants to help parents make sure their children have a safe Halloween.
Here are some tips:
Make sure children are dressed safely
* Allow them to wear only flame-retardant costumes.* Keep costumes short to prevent falls.
* Use make-up instead of masks when possible. Masks can obstruct vision.
* Make sure kids wear light colors or put reflective tape on their costumes.
Make trick-or-treating trouble free
* Children should travel in groups when trick-or-treating. Adults should accompany young children.
* Map out a safe route for children and make sure they stop only at familiar homes where the outside lights are on.
* Try to have them trick-or-treat while it’s still light outside. If it’s dark, make sure someone has a flashlight.
* Make sure kids know not to enter strange houses or cars.
* Teach children to say “No” or “This is not my mother/father” in a loud voice if someone tries to get them to go somewhere, accept anything other than a treat, or leave with them.
* Make sure other children know your home phone number, in case they get lost or separated.
* Tell children not to eat their treats until they come home.
* Check out all treats before your children eat them.
* Let kids eat only unopened candies and treats that are in their original wrappers.