It only takes a few seconds.
Credit card thieves are targeting shoppers, especially those who use a shopping cart, while they aren’t looking this holiday season.
These thieves usually work in teams and are scouting for shoppers who leave their purse in shopping carts and when the shoppers turn their back, the thieves reach in and steal a wallet.
Detectives said it only took a few seconds for thieves to steal purses, wallets and credit cards from five shoppers at area retail establishments in recent days.
The thieves are after credit cards, which they are then using to commit credit card fraud, according to detectives.
The Collier County Sheriff’s Office reminds shoppers to keep safe this holiday season by following these tips:
* Carry your closed purse as close to your body as possible.
* Carry a wallet in an inside coat or front pants pocket.
* Never leave a purse or wallet inside your vehicle.
* Do not become distracted in your shopping. Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
* Be aware of other shoppers encroaching into your space.
* If you see unusual activity, report it.