Statistics show that more than 10,000 children and adolescents are hospitalized in the U.S. each year as a result of a bike injury. That's why CCSO works hard to promote bicycle safety.
Here are some tips:
* Check your tires, brakes and chain before you go for a ride.
* Wear a helmet and make sure it's fastened.
* Obey the rules of the road. Bikers must stop at stop signs and traffic signals and indicate when they're turning, just like drivers.
* Ride on the right side of the road in the same direction as traffic.
* Look both ways. Many accidents happen at intersections or driveways, so always watch out for people who don't see you.
* Ride with friends. It's more fun and they can help you if you need it.
* Remember to lock your bike and keep it in a safe place when you're not riding it.