The Collier County Sheriff's Office, in partnership with Drug Free Collier, collected nearly 1,000 pounds of unused, unwanted and expired medications during an Operation Medicine Cabinet initiative in April, making it the most successful drug take-back event in Collier County to date.
The drugs were collected with no questions asked at 10 drop-off sites around Collier County on April 28.
More than 700 people discarded 958 pounds of drugs
“Operation Medicine Cabinet works with law enforcement to teach families how important it is to lock up medications to prevent poisoning, misuse and abuse, and proper disposal to prevent pollution of our environment,” said Veora Little, a Drug Free Collier volunteer and volunteer coordinator for Operation Medicine Cabinet.
Click here to learn more about the mission and services provided by Drug Free Collier.
CCSO and Drug Free Collier offer a permanent drug disposal site in the form of a drop-off box located in the main lobby of CCSO headquarters. They are among several local agencies that offer a safe way for the community to dispose of medications through permanent collection sites.
Residents are encouraged to take their medication to one of the permanent drop-off locations throughout Collier County for easy, safe and proper disposal.
To dispose of your unwanted drugs, visit any of the following local drop-off sites:
* Collier County Sheriff's Office prescription drop-off box, main lobby of the sheriff's administration building, 3301 U.S. 41 E., Building J, East Naples. Mondays through Fridays, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Marco Island Police Department prescription drop-off box, 51 Bald Eagle Drive, Marco Island. Mondays through Fridays, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Collier County Medical Examiner's Office, 3838 Domestic Ave., East Naples. Mondays through Fridays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Naples Police Department prescription drop-off box, 355 Riverside Circle, Naples. Mondays through Fridays, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Naples Recycling Center, 2640 Enterprise Ave., East Naples, Tuesdays through Saturdays, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Please do not drop-off any controlled substances at this location.
* Marco Island Recycling Center, 990 Chalmers Drive, Marco Island. Tuesdays through Saturdays, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Please do not drop-off any controlled substances at this location.