Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Attention Online Shoppers
Thanks to the World Wide Web, the bulk of your shopping can be done online. You can even have your orders gift wrapped. With the added convenience of shopping online, you need to know how to protect your bank account and identity.
Here are some good pointers to help keep your personal information safe:
* Use companies you know.
* When making purchases online, make sure the Web site you are using is secured with “https://www...” in the URL and make certain the padlock symbol is on the bottom of your browser.
* Read the company’s privacy statement carefully. Will they sell your personal information to other companies?
* Trust your instincts. If something doesn’t seem right, then it probably isn’t.
* Limit the amount of personal information you give out and print all online receipts.
* Consider obtaining a credit card that you use only when shopping online to easily keep track of all your purchases.
* If possible, call in your order.
* Notify the issuer if your credit card is lost or stolen.