Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Holiday Seat Belt Safety Initiative Under Way
WHAT: Click It Or Ticket
SUMMARY: Collier County Sheriff’s Office deputies are watching motorists to make sure everyone is properly buckled up in vehicles.
Click It or Ticket is under way.
The purpose of this annual nationwide campaign is to increase safety belt use and reduce fatalities on Florida's roadways during the Thanksgiving season.
The fine for not wearing a seat belt is $113 in Collier County.
During the Click It Or Ticket campaign, CCSO deputies will conduct various countywide heightened enforcement details and drawing attention to the importance of safety restraint use.
CCSO has joined forces with other law enforcement agencies across the state, along with FDOT and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, to crack down on drivers and passengers who fail to buckle up.
Here are some seat belt safety basics:
* The driver and front-seat passenger must wear a seat belt.
* Anyone younger than 18 must wear a seat belt no matter where they are sitting.
* Children 12 and younger should ride in the back seat for safety.
* Children from birth to 80 pounds and 4 feet 9 inches tall should ride either in a car seat or a booster seat, depending on their age.
* A ticket for a violation of child restraint violations will cost you $163.