Thursday, March 7, 2013
Seat Belt Safety Initiative Currently Under Way
WHEN: Friday, March 1 through Saturday, March 16
SUMMARY: Deputies are watching Collier County motorists to make sure everyone is properly buckled up in vehicles during the Click It Or Ticket initiative.
The purpose of the campaign is to increase safety belt use and reduce fatalities on Florida's roadways.
The fine for not wearing a seat belt is $113 in Collier County.
During Click It Or Ticket CCSO deputies will be conducting various countywide heightened enforcement details and efforts to draw attention to the importance of safety restraint use.
CCSO is joining forces with other law enforcement agencies across the state, along with FDOT and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, to crack down on drivers and passengers who fail to buckle up.
Here are some seat belt safety basics:
* The driver and front-seat passenger must wear a seat belt.
* Anyone younger than 18 must wear a seat belt no matter where they are sitting.
* Children 12 and younger should ride in the back seat for safety.
* Children from birth to 80 pounds and 4 feet 9 inches tall should ride either in a car seat or a booster seat, depending on their age.
* A ticket for a violation of child restraint violations will cost you $163.