Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mugshot, Composite Similar

SECOND UPDATE: Here is Redford's mugshot and the composite CCSO released earlier:

Redford's address is 5476 27th Ave. S.W., Golden Gate.

UPDATE: Deputies have arrested a person they believe is responsible for this home invasion and a similar crime that also happened Tuesday in Collier County.

The second home invasion happened at 762 99th Ave. N. in North Naples.

Randy Redford, 41, was charged with home invasion robbery, impersonating a law enforcement officer, false imprisonment, grand theft auto, grand theft and battery.

Redford was still being booked into the Collier County jail Tuesday night and his address and photograph were not yet available. No additional details are available at this time.

Original News Release:

Deputies Seek Public’s Help

Investigators are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man who they say forced his way into a Golden Gate home early Tuesday after banging on the door repeatedly and identifying himself as a federal law enforcement officer.

Deputies have released this composite. They say the suspect is white with a shaved head, between 30 and 40 years old, 160 to 170 pounds with brown eyes and an athletic build. He is between 5 feet 6 inches and 5 feet 9 inches tall. He was wearing a black short-sleeve T-shirt, jeans and may be left handed.

Reports say the victims, Sergio Babot and Somphong Phanthong, were in bed just before 6 a.m. at 5295 Hemingway Lane East No. 1209 when they heard repeated knocking on the door. Babot went to the door and looked through a peep hole. He saw a man outside displaying a badge and identifying himself as a federal law enforcement officer.

When Babot opened the door the man came inside, calling Babot by his first name and telling him he had surveillance video of him selling narcotics to informants. He ordered Phanthong to remain in bed.

When the suspect began going through the victims’ clothing looking for money the victims became suspicious and asked to see the suspect’s identification. The suspect then opened his cell phone and then spoke into the phone, saying he was ready for the K-9s to come in.

He left after instructing the victims not to move when the K-9s came in.